Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Myhren Gallery


A couple weeks ago, I attended the Myhren Gallery with my first year seminar class. The Myhren Gallery is the University of Denver’s art gallery located in the art building on campus. The exhibitions change every few months and include art work from a variety of well known artists as well as students. Our class visited the exhibition, Changing Landscapes.
        
When I walked in, all I saw was a display of typical landscape paintings. But, as the guide began to explain and describe the meaning and significance behind the artwork the paintings grew into something more meaningful. He described to us how the landscapes created were very noteworthy because the lack of transportation in the countryside. These paintings allowed people the chance to “travel” to these places and see them in a new light.

Over time, the landscapes changes and evolved due to the transportation by train. The classic landscapes became more industrial. These new landscapes were used to symbolize the new ideas and things evolving in the world. These new landscapes were done with new painting techniques. An example of a new technique used was scattering dots all over the piece of art. This was done in order to create realistic dust and flies in the air.

This event really made me gain and understanding of artist’s intentions behind their artwork. I now have a higher respect for landscape artwork. I stepped out of my comfort zone at this gallery and really learned from a new perspective. This exhibit was definitely a cultural event because it forced me to think in a way I am not accustomed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment